Sunday, March 29, 2009

Serendipity: a happy surprise

If crossing the path of a black cat is bad luck then for us, crossing the path of a white horse is good luck.


We got up Saturday morning and headed to the Institute of Contemporary Art for their "play date" which is free for families. We found a parking spot directly across the street from the museum and when I went to put some quarters in the meter there was still over an hour on it!!!! I'm telling you, that NEVER happens! Once in the museum I will admit that Addi wasn't too impressed by some of the art and some of it was definitely beyond her 4 year old sensibilities. Her favorite pieces were the 'pin cube' a large cube made entirely of pins, friction and gravity...no glue of any kind was used, and the burnt wood curtain....you'd have to see it to understand.

The activities were a hit though...
Making collages in front of this really cool wall


a little assistance with the glue.



finished product


Downtown Girl

The cars passing by probably thought I was a lunatic laying on the median but I think this picture turned out pretty well with her the same height as the buildings

Not a block away is the Children's Museum and when we passed coming in I noticed an ambulance parked out front...no one looked in too big of a hurry so I figured they were letting the kids take a look
Sure enough I was right. But what I didn't know was the extent of the 'health care' theme. Inside the museum they had tables and tables of demonstrations, crafts, games, free stuff...all about health care.
Addi's favorite (which of course I don't have a picture of) was in the craft room, they made it into a teddy bear hospital and were giving out surprisingly good quality stuffed animals for you to take on a doctor's visit. As we came up to the door they told us that they had one animal left and that's how Addi and Carrot the bunny first met. Carrot had his vitals taken, a blood draw and an x-ray...Carrot passed with flying colors.


This is a table where you could get your finger casted....



...I couldn't resist


As we left the museum with a hospital bag full of goodies including 2 stuffed animals, a hat, books and numerous crafts and stickers a low cloud was hovering over the buildings...I just thought it looked cool.

4 comments:

bostonshumways said...

oh man, Hazel would have loved that! What a great day!

Meg said...

What a fun day. You are surely the fun family. I love the shots of Addi with the buildings. They are stellar. You are so cute and I love you.

Rhiannon said...

That sounds like so much fun, I swear there isn't as much fun to be had here. I'm glad you has such great luck too.

Ashley said...

I want to see Carrot, did I totally miss him??