Monday, April 20, 2009

Breakfast and A Show

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to catch live entertainment like this.
We were out the door by 5:00 in the blessed AM to make it to the re-enactment of the shot heard 'round the world and the Battle at Lexington on this, Patriots Day. Then back to our friend's house for breakfast.
Even though the re-enactment was much smaller and much, much safer than the actual event I was struck by the courage of our few men that fought for all the things we too often take for granted. The Americans didn't fare so well in this particular battle and I hope that my behavior as a citizen will always uphold and protect the same ideals those men gave their lives for.

The "Red Coats", "Lobster Backs" the bloody British
Lexington Milita
British General and fallen Militia man

(These pictures are from the Boston Herald, we were not this close and I don't have a lens that would make it seem like we were.)

3 comments:

ellen said...

I was thinking Wow, they got a great spot! :) Ain't no re-enactments in Seattle so it's good you went this year!

Ashley said...

I wish that I could have been there!! I think too many people forget about what how this nation was formed and the honor, bravery, and courage that those men had to fight and stand for what they believed in, even when they knew their chance for survival was not good. Don't worry, you may watch re-enactments in Boston but you'll be MAKING history in Seattle!!

To Love said...

Very cool to live in an area with so much American history -- I suppose Kansas does have Dorothy and Laura Ingalls......

Seattle is fantastic! Austin grew up there, and his family still lives there, so I've been there quite a few times. It does rain, but the green evergreens are beautiful, and outdoor activities are delightful. Good for you guys! When do you go?