Friday, November 25, 2011

Five Kernels of Corn

One of our Thanksgiving traditions is to come to the table completely empty of food except for 5 kernels of corn on each plate.
Someone reads the poem "5 Kernels of Corn" and we sing a few hymns.
Then, we write a list of 5 things we are thankful for and put them in the "Thanksgiving Box."
We keep the papers in there forever, you can see what you were thankful for 10 years ago.
It is a thought provoking ritual before we all stuff ourselves with too much food.
Surprisingly the kids love it, even though they're pretty hungry...it's the men who struggle with this tradition.

2 comments:

Rhiannon said...

The men or Kris? I for onr really missed it this year.

Rev. Dianne said...

I write a children's sermon blog called Children's Sermons Today, also on Google's Blogspot. I plan to retell the story of the 5 Kernels of Corn for my November 18 post. Would you please grant permission for me to use your photo of the plate with the 5 kernels of corn on it? I will give you the credit for the great photo. You may contact me at childrenssermons@gmail.com. Thanks for considering my request.
Best Wishes,
Dianne