Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hot Water Heater

One of the charms of a 100 year old house is exciting plumbing. Our hot water doesn't work well in the winter. On a good day you have to find the "sweet spot" on the faucet dial and if you hurry it will stay warmish. Normally, I'm shaving the goosebumps off my legs in cold water. Addi however gets better treatment, we warm her water in every pot we have on the stove. And for the last couple days I sacrificed and hopped in with her.
If you're asking why it is a sacrifice you don't know me well. I have an unbased, irrational but violent fear of taking baths (not showers...obviously) it's really just the stagnent water I think. If the shower is slow to drain and a little pool collects I start to get anxious. I know it's crazy and no, pools don't bother me.
I'll just have to wait until summer to have a long hot shower.

4 comments:

Rhiannon said...

one more thing to be grateful for. HOT WATER! i admire you for toughing out the cold shower. how do you ever get warm?!?! it's hard to warm up once you've gotten to a certain degree of freezing!
i don't know what i would do if i couldn't have a HOT shower everyday. i hate to confess such a thing so publicly, but i have been known to use up all the hot water while showering. i know, i am ashamed, BUT there is nothing like a hot shower during this bone chilling weather!

To Love said...

I would have never guessed that you were a non-bather. Perhaps because you come from a family of fish. Do your youngest sibs swim? Sorry about the hot water. Meg and Maisie crashed Nick and Andy's bath on Saturday night due to the same complaint of cold water.

OK. Your camel is darling. I wish I could sew like you!

Dani said...

Your blog is so entertaining to read! Maybe someday I will blog but I haven't quite convinced myself to try yet. I hope you have a great 2009! I love the camel. It turned out great!

The Hardys said...

oh my gosh there's nothing I hate more than bathes!!! I totally understand, they just freak me out, I think about all the germs I must be sitting in....yuck, I agree it's something to do with stagnant water (it's funny b/c that is the only thing I'm germaphobe about) so you are not alone in that haha