Sunday, December 19, 2010

Straying From the Pattern

I was lying in bed this morning "pondering"... Randall would call it "still sleeping." I was thinking about what I was going to wear to church and I decided on an outfit and 3" heels.
Now as many of you know I am 6' tall and of course if you add the 3 extra inches I'll be 6'3".
Every time I wear high heels I get comments about my height and I'm not sure how to respond.
Thank You?
I know?
Sorry?
As I was thinking about this I was wondering why I should feel like I should not wear what I want because of my body type.   I thought of shorter girls that wear heels to be taller and tall girls who only wear flats (and sometimes even slouch!!) to appear shorter.  Everyone trying to meet in the middle at some "perfect" point.
Then I thought, there is no such point.
I strapped on my high heels, threw my shoulders back and marched to church.
Not slouching once while standing and singing with the choir at least a head taller than everyone else.

And to those pesky height commenters out there I say:
"I can't help how short you are."

It takes courage to stray from norms and patterns and I'll give you another example.
My dear friend wanted some aprons for Christmas gifts.
She told me that she liked some of the aprons from Anthropologie...
This apron from Anthropologie:
 
Now I am usually a stick to the pattern type gal.
If you just stick to the pattern it will all turn out OK in the end.
Well Anthropologie doesn't give out their patterns...if you can believe it.
So I decided to try and make it up as I went along and...

 Now please ignore the terrible lighting and bulky pajamas.
I think they're going to look great on the skinny-mini's that are receiving them.
I am always quite critical of my work and I could have spent days on these making every stitch perfect but I think they turned out well, and I hope the receivers like them.
 


Then for a little surprise I sent my friend some of these camera lens pets.  
She is an amazing photographer, and I thought she might be able to use them when she shoots children.
(with her camera of course) 
I nicked the idea from someone's etsy shop.

Octopus

Monster

Frog

8 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Bravo! Bravo! Sooooo amazing!!! Those aprons turned out fabulous!!! You need to get into some boutiques asap. I love those cute little lens pets, such a great idea!

Katie said...

The aprons look awesome! The recipients are going to love them. Also the camera lens pets are really adorable.

bostonshumways said...

angi, you rock! I'm so excited about these. Darn, now I just want to keep one for myself. Maybe I will. My sister in law isn't that cool, right? (Just kidding). And I'm thrilled about those little lens guys. What a great idea. You never cease to amaze me. I miss you!

Meg said...

I love it. I love that you wear heels, I love that you are so productive and I love your aprons. You are amazing.

You are the enziest.

Enziest: my security word

ellen said...

You are SEW awesome.

charity eyre wright said...

i am the reciever of the yellow apron! and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! i hadn't seen the actual anthropologie one until now and i am amazed at how perfectly you copied it. i LOVE my apron. thank you!!!

sia n shi said...

Even though I am a measly 5'10' I wholeheartedly agree. You are an amazing seamstress and I love your blog =). Hope you guys had a great holiday!

DangAndBlast! said...

The answer I like (and at 5'8" I'm the midget of my Texan family) is an enthusiastic "I know, isn't it great?" My cousins and siblings say that in response to "you're tall!" a lot. (Two of the girls were well over 6' in heels this Christmas... and the boys, when they wear boots, are a comfortable 6'6"...) I don't know... seems to ease up on aggravation quite well if you view it as a compliment rather than as pesky!